“In the end we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught.” – Baba Dioum – 1968
Happy New Year! Get outside and get your feet wet!
It’s fun and fulfilling to learn more about YOUR island habitat – you, your kids, your grand kids and your neighbors can be part of Sound Water Stewards and make a difference!
Join us in 2018 to expand your knowledge and get involved. Become a volunteer, check out one of our local events, or donate now to help us expand our reach and impact.
Sign up for our SWS training and join our ranks of volunteers!
We will be taking applications starting in mid January. [ Learn more ]
Events you can attend in 2018:
On Whidbey Island
- Ways of the Whales January 20th, 2018 – SWS will host a booth where you can come talk to us about SWS and our many programs; also enjoy the most current research and topics regarding whales. Register today!
- Sound Waters University offers attendees a choice of 60 or so fun and informative classes and presentations about the natural world and the fragile environment of this special place in the Salish Sea. February 3rd, 2018 – Pre-registration is required, don’t miss out! Over 650 people attend every year.
- Annual Gray Whale Cruise in April – Join SWS on a 2 hour cruise of beautiful Saratoga Passage to search for feeding Gray whales. A knowledgeable on-board naturalist and delicious appetizers and beverages are included. Keep an eye on our Facebook page or check our calendar page regularly for event updates!
- Penn Cove Water Festival – SWS volunteers will have a fun family-friendly booth for you and your family to meet some live marine critters! May 12th, 2018
- Digging for Dinner – Do you want to learn how to safely dig for clams? Join us for one of our many classes we offer in the summer months to learn safe and sustainable ways to harvest clams!
- Junior Ranger Programs and Central and South Whidbey State Parks. We will be hosting a variety of fun nature-focused Junior Ranger Programs for kids of all ages.
- Guided walks at the State Parks – Want to learn more about the beach and get a chance to go on walk? Join us for one of our many guided walks in 2018.
- Family Outdoor Discovery Day – Join SWS and State Parks for an afternoon of fun activities for the whole family. Located at beautiful Fort Casey State Park on Aug 25th, 2018.
On Camano Island
- Visit a Camano state park – we have two – and you can park for FREE Jan 1, and Jan 15, March 19, April 14, April 22, June 2, June 9 and 10.
- Visit one of our many county parks…Camano has 13. Check out our new park at Barnum point.
- Go to the Port Susan Snow Goose & Birding Festival Feb 24-25 – watch the papers for details and come visit our booth…http://www.snowgoosefest.org
- Check your library for a copy of “Getting to the Water’s Edge” – and plan to explore along the shoreline, or curl up at home and read essays on topics crucial for our intertidal areas.
- Attend our free 4th Wednesday Evening Talks at the Camano Library – Jan 24 talk is on Reigning in the Rain: Rain Barrel Construction by Scott Chase past coordinator for WSU Shore Stewards program.
- Look for our Mysteries of the Sea Activity Booths…Microscopes and Art…one in the spring, one in the summer, and then at the Cama Beach Harvest Festival in October.
Rainy day activities
- EZ ID Game – Learn to name all your local marine critters and plants! This is a great activity for those interested in learning to name what you see at the beach.
- Coupeville Wharf Display – Check out Rosie the Whale skeleton and other beautiful interpretive displays at the Coupeville Wharf. Also make sure to try the scavenger hunt activity and watch one or all of the awesome videos during your visit.
Sound Water Stewards are “Trained volunteers working in and around Island County for a healthy, sustainable Puget Sound environment through education, community outreach, stewardship, and citizen science.”
5 Ways you can help SWS
- Join the SWS training class of 2018 [ Learn more ]
- Buy a Lighthouse License Plate [ Learn more ]
- Donate today
- Choose Sound Water Stewards of Island County as your Amazon smile charity of choice at smile.amazon.com
- Like us on Facebook