Our “South end” January 24, 2020 meeting will be at Baby Island Saratoga Club, 3616 Saratoga Rd, Langley. [Freeland, WhidbeyTel is not available.] Please spread the word. AND CARPOOL!!!! And mark your calendar!
Whidbey Monthly Members’ Meeting
When: Weds. 22 January 2020 10:00am-12:00pm
- Please bring: a copy of agenda, mussel disks, your name tag, travel cup & water bottle.
- We will provide coffee, tea, snacks and a door prize.
- Please remember: Sound Water Stewards don’t let other Stewards miss the monthly meetings. Bring a SWS buddy and share a ride!
Call to order by this month’s facilitator: Jeanie McElwain. Thank you!
Snacks generously provided by Sue Salveson & Kes Tautvydas. Thank you!
Community Announcements/Events 10:00 – 10:55
- Coordinator report – Allie Hudec
- SWS Board Status report
- Sound Waters University 2020 update & signup for Volunteers – Anne, Nicole, Mary
- Update on Volunteer Education & Training [VET] Committee – Kris Holley
- Holiday Party report – Nicole
- Other announcements
- Door prize drawing
Break – 10:45 – 11:05
Program Presentation – 11:05 to 12:00 Organic Farm School in Maxwelton Valley. Judy Feldman is the Executive Director for the non-profit Organic Farm School. Judy is a graduate of UW, and Antioch University Seattle. She worked for almost 10 years with WSU Island County Extension, first as “The Weed Lady,” then as the Beach Watcher Outreach Coordinator, then the 4-H Coordinator and ultimately as the Acting Director. She has gone through the Master Gardener, Livestock Advisor, and Climate Steward trainings that used to be offered by WSU. She herself grows farmers, not food, and is devoted to preparing a new generation of farmers for long term economic, cultural, and environmental success. To do this, she has a great teaching team, thinks critically, gathers a lot of information, talks to a wide range of farmers and eaters, looks for connections, builds networks, regularly revisits old opinions, recognizes the box and then moves her mind outside of it.
Wrap-Up: What are the Take-Home Messages from today’s presentation? Write them down on an index card & leave it on the table or take it with you as a reminder.