Second Monday each Month via Zoom – zoom link and agenda to be provided via email to Stewards.
The usual schedule is:
10 to 10:30 am: Organizational Announcements
10:30 am: Speaker Presentation (greater detail at bottom of this page)
11:30 am: Breakout Rooms for Camano (definitely) and Whidbey (occasionally)
Back by popular demand, Loren Brokaw of WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife will describe the Leque Island Estuary Restoration Project including the changes that have already occurred since October 2019 when the dikes were breached. Leque Island was a small patch of land (250 acres) between Camano and Stanwood, bounded on one side by Davis Slough and Stillaguamish River on the other.
Many years ago, when the tide gates and dikes began to fail, people began talking about letting nature (salt water) reclaim the land from the farming that was made possible by dikes. Learn how the project benefits all the species that rely on estuaries, including salmon, shorebirds, waterfowl and a host of other species. Find out about the new walking trail and non-motorized boat launches.
Find background information about Loren and the Leque Project.
See pictures and find more info about the new level Leque Trail when you scroll down on this webpage. https://soundwaterstewards.org/web/2021-eaglefestival/
- Welcome by Camano Facilitators John Mathis and Gaylen Heacock
- 10:00 – 10:25: SWS announcements
- Board report – President Linda Ade Ridder (or other Board member)
- Sound Waters University update – Sue Salveson, Tabitha Jacobs-Mangiafico
- Education Program– Allie Hudec
- Stewardship Committee– Kelly Webb
- Citizen Science Committee – Scott Cole
- VET update – Kristina Holley
- Intertidal Monitoring Plan, Schedule – Dave Brubaker, Jeannie McElwain
- ED Report – Kelly Zupich
- Reminder: send newsletter announcements to Joan for Feb newsletter
- Announce March Meeting Speaker
- 10:30 – 11:30: Featured Speaker, Loren Brokaw, WA Dept of Fish & Wildlife on “Leque Island Estuary Restoration Project, Return to Tidal Marsh” at the mouth of the Stillaguamish River in Stanwood (project history, project description, and update on what is new)
- 11:35 am: resume in Island-specific Breakout Rooms after short transition break
Members report your volunteer hours — Education/self – sponsored by SWS, Monthly Meetings
2021.02.08 Camano SWS Agenda – Camano only agenda
2021.02.08 SWS Members Mtg Agenda – All members agenda