New this year, we’ll be meeting on the 4th Wednesday . In odd months, we continue to meet in Freeland at Whidbey Telecom’s conference room.
- Please bring: a copy of agenda, mussel disks, your name tag & water bottle.
- We will provide snacks and a door prize.
- Please remember: Sound Water Stewards don’t let other SWS miss the monthly meetings. Bring a SWS buddy and share a ride!
Call to order by this month’s facilitator: Jeanie McElwain Thank you!
Snacks generously provided by Kelly Keith and Rachel Nostrom. Thank you!
Community Announcements/Events 10:00 – 10:55
- Staff report & meet our new Whidbey Coordinator, Allie Hudek – NEW in March 2019
- Nan Maysen, Executive Director
- SWS Board Status report – Board – NEW in 2019 President Paul McElwain
- Speaker Series – Weds. 7PM-8:15PM through April 10 at Bayview Cash Store – Wendy Visconty
- April 24 monthly members’ meeting & fieldtrip at PRI – Wendy Visconty
- Update on Volunteer Education & Training [VET] Committee & 2019 Class-Nancy Neudecker
- Whale Cruise April 7 – Jill or Finn
- Intertidal Monitoring – Kelly Keith
- Other announcements
- Demo – navigating our SWS on-line tools – Nicole
- Door prize drawing
Break – 10:45 – 11:05
Program Presentation – 11:05 to 12:00 Anna Toledo, Island County Marine Resources Committee Coordinator. MRC is a citizen-based advisory committee dedicated to the protection and restoration of Island County’s marine resources through monitoring, restoration, and education. Anna will present on the history and mission of the MRC, on current projects, and on opportunities to get involved. Anna coordinates the MRC, supporting their work to protect and restore the local marine environment through monitoring, restoration, and outreach projects. Anna also manages Island County’s Shore Friendly program, the goal of which is to promote alternatives to hard armoring along the shoreline. Anna received her BS in Biology from the University of Richmond. Prior to moving to Whidbey Island from the east coast, Anna worked in environmental consulting in Washington, DC, and also spent time in Ecuador with the Peace Corps.
Wrap-Up: What are the Take-Home Messages from today’s presentation? Write them down on an index card & leave it on the table.
Whidbey Steering Committee – Sue, Lee, Kes, Wendy, Tom, Jeanie, Nicole