Click here to buy the book!
Getting to the Water’s Edge on Whidbey and Camano Islands, the premier field guide book to beaches in Island County was released as a Third Edition in July 2020. Now is the perfect time to get this book, since the coronavirus means we are all looking for outdoor places close to home.
GTWE, as we affectionately call this spiral-bound field guide, describes 69 public beaches including amenities such as boat and kayak launches, trails, fishing, clamming, bird-watching, picnic tables/shelters, restrooms, overnight accommodations, accessibility for people with mobility challenges and much more. Yellow box essays cover human and natural history such as place names, stewardship, animals, plants, geology, streams and estuaries.
Getting to the Water’s Edge retails for $20. See a list of stores below. Or buy online directly from Sound Water Stewards
The 2020 edition was two years in the making by 67 Sound Water Stewards and community resource people who gave more than 1,500 hours to bring it forth with meticulous fact-checking, writing, designing and editing. The printing costs were paid entirely by sponsoring businesses, non-profits and SWS members. Proceeds from book sales support Sound Water Stewards programs.
This book is available now for $20 by mail-order directly from SWS or at book stores, gift shops and hardware stores on Whidbey and Camano as well as in Stanwood, Everett, LaConner and Bellingham. ISBN 978-1-7343529-0-0.
Find Getting to the Water’s Edge at these locations:
- Ace Hardware
- Cama Beach State Park Welcome Center
- Camano Commons Marketplace
- Elger Bay Grocery & Gifts
- Kristoferson Farm Stand
- Picnic Pantry
- Studio 271
- Ace Hardware – Freeland & Oak Harbor
- Bayview Farn & Garden – Langley
- Coupeville Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center
- Greenbank Farm Wine Shop – Greenbank
- Kingfisher Books – Coupeville
- Langley Whale Center – Langley
- Linds on Whidbey – Freeland
- Madrona Supply Co – Clinton
- Moonraker Books – Langley
- Naval Air Station Whidbey Island Exchange – Oak Harbor NAS
- Wind & Tide Bookshop – Oak Harbor
- Wild Birds Unlimited – Freeland
- Alley Cat Antiques/Marine Supply & Hardware
- SeaPort Books
- J. Matheson Gifts, Kitchen and Gourmet
- Village Books & Paper Dreams
- Edmonds BookShop