SWS Board Member
Beach Watcher Experience
- I am active in many SWS activities, including the Pigeon Guillemot Survey and the Coupeville wharf marine life exhibit renovation committee.
- Most of my working years were spent at non-profits, including the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (executive director),Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA (historic farm manager), Old Fort Western, Augusta, ME, (director and curator of collections and education), and Viles Arboretum in Augusta, (executive director). In all but one case I staffed a board of directors.
- I also served on several non-profit boards including the Maine Small Farm Association, the Kennebec-Chaudiere Corridor Commission (president), the Maine Council for the Social Studies, and Maine Archives and Museums (president).
- I am vice president of Whidbey Audubon.
Skills re Board
- I have created non-profit entities, written mission statements and long-range plans, facilitated planning retreats, designed and run board-member orientation sessions, and overseen board development.
- I am an avid bird watcher and enjoy natural history generally.
Reason I want to serve
- If elected I would hope to help the new Beach Watcher’s get off to a good start based on having put in place an organizational structure, policies and procedures designed to achieve sustainable success.