Camano Sound Water Stewards are proud to present our monthly ‘4th Wednesday’ Seminar Series serving Camano Island and other nearby communities.
All talks begin at 7 pm at the Camano Library (at Terry’s Corner).
2019 Speaker Series
- March 27th: “Pinto Abalone Status: Why they should be listed as Endangered”, by Dr. Henry Carson
- Dr. Henry Carson will discuss the current status of the Pinto Abalone and discuss Washington Stae should list it under the Endangered Species Act.
- For more information on the state of their recovery please Click Here.
- February 27th: “Shake Alert- A Moment to Act”, by Bill Steele
- Bille Steele will discuss Puget Sound Area Earthquake & Tsunami Hazards and also explain the ShakeAlert earthquake early warning system. Bille Steele is the Director of Communications & Outreach at the University of Washington where he has worked with key stakeholders to identify earthquakes and volcanic hazards, community vulnerability, and mitigation opportunities.
- January 23rd: ” Our Common Local Intertidal Chitons”, by Linda Schroeder
Past 2018 Talks
- October 24th: “Projected Sea Level Rise”, by Jay Mouton
- September 26th: “Beaches & Bluffs on Camano Island”, by Hugh Shipman
- August 22nd:“Tales of Logging on Camano Island”, by Jeff Wheeler
- July 25th: “Harbor Seals in the Salish Sea”, by Dr. Cindy Elliser
- June 27th: ” Global Climate Change: a Clear and Present Danger for the Pacific NW”, by Dr. Richard Gammon
- May 23rd: “The Importance of Salmon Hatcheries”, by Sue Ryan
- April 25th: “SR3 Marine Animal Rehab”, by Casey McLean
- March 28th: “Camano Island Groundwater – Your Drinking Water”, by Doug Kelly
- February 28th: “Helping Skagit Salmon: It’s about way more than just salmon”, by Sue Madsen
- January 24th: “Reining in the Rain: Rainbarrel Construction”, by Scott Chase
Past 2017 Talks
- October 25th: “Ocean Acidification – Winners, Losers And Changing the Rules of the Game”, by Dr. Brooke Love
September 27th: “Marine Mammal Entanglement,” presented by Doug Sandilands
August 23rd: “Ocean Acidification in Puget Sound”, presented by Dr. Paul McElhany
July 26th: “Making a Mark: Photo-ID of Harbor Porpoises in the Salish Sea”, presented by Dr. Cindy Elliser (Pacific Mammal Research).
June 28th: “Southern Resident Orcas – An Icon in Danger” presented by Cindy Hansen (Orca Network)
- May 25th: “Pigeon Guillemots – The Adorable Seabird with Bright Red Feet” presented by Govinda Rosling