The experience of the Class of 2020 was, naturally, highly unusual as the world faced the first pandemic of our lifetimes. In-person classes, scheduled to begin in March 2020 were initially cancelled. The Volunteer Education and Training (VET) Committee then re-invented the SWS Annual Training to be virtual.
Read what Stewards had to say at the end of their training …
- It was a joy to participate and a great escape during this season of isolation. I will miss the classes and the interaction with everyone.
- Overall, I was blown away by the quality of the lectures and field trips and the enthusiasm and professionalism of the staff…
- The presenters and presentations were above and beyond what I expected. Thank you!
- Whether in person or virtual—this was great. I think the virtual [platform] allowed it to be more complete than it would have otherwise been for in person meetings.
- It was an excellent experience that I would highly recommend to others. Actually I liked it better than the separate island in-person class experiences of the past. [Virtual training] created a greater sense of one team to me.
- I really appreciated that we were able to decrease the carbon footprint of training by not driving so much. It was nice to get to know people from both islands and the surrounding areas.
Learn how to apply to become a Sound Water Steward.
Pictures below show small group field trips to native plants, restored salmon habitat, forests, beaches, and bluffs in 2020.