Sound Waters University 2022 “Hope In Action”
Join the Sound Waters University (SWU) Committee and wow the Pacific Northwest region with Sound Waters University 2022! All interested Sound Water Stewards, please contact Tabitha or Nancy. Include your name, contact information, and area of interest.
Sound Waters University Program Subcommittee: Speaker Liaison:
- Do you have strong communication skills; do you have connections with experts in the field of marine and terrestrial environments?
- Are you interested in creating event programs with emerging topics and dynamic speakers?
If yes, we invite you to volunteer as an SWU Speaker Liaison. Help secure Pacific Northwest environmental presenters to inspire Hope in Action! This three-person subcommittee needs one to two additional volunteers. The position reports to the SWU program subcommittee lead, Tom Hiegler, and meets frequently with the program subcommittee. The estimated time commitment is two hours a week through November.
Sound Waters University Field Trip Subcommittee: Field Trip Assistant:
- Are you enthusiastic about helping the public engage in fun and informative Salish Sea ecotours?
- Are you drawn to providing congenial event hospitality?
If yes, we invite you to help host one of the inaugural field trips for SWU 2022. This four-person subcommittee needs additional day-of-the-event support; ideally, four to six energetic, outdoorsy volunteers to provide attendee check-in, payment collection, and hospitality, etc. The estimated time commitment is four hours the day of the event, January 6, 2022, four hours of preparatory work, and one to two one-hour meetings during January and/or the first week of February.
Sound Waters University Ecotour Naturalists/Guides:
- Do you have a degree and/or naturalist experience in Marine Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Geology, and/or Anthropology?
- Are you passionate to interact with the public via field trips?
If yes, we invite you to lead a winter ecotour and share your excitement and knowledge about a specific topic relevant to the Puget Sound environment within Island County? Help implement a new addition to SWU as an expert in the field. Each ecotour will be offered on February 6, 2022 for up to twenty SWU attendees. Minimally, a one-hour experience is expected. Ecotour field trips may occur on either island as well as off-island.
Sound Waters University Virtual Exhibit Hall Subcommittee: Exhibit Hall Lead and Co-lead:
- Are you passionate about spotlighting local businesses and nonprofit organizations that want their names and missions cross-promoted?
- Are you a whiz at email blasts and virtual interactions to secure exhibitors who want a presence at the SWU Virtual Exhibit Hall?
If yes, we need you to lead the SWU Exhibit subcommittee. You can see the SWU 2021 Virtual Exhibit Hall here. This subcommittee needs one to two detail-oriented volunteers who will work to secure new exhibitors and retain former exhibitors. Coaching and support will be provided by the former SWU Exhibit Hall lead. The estimated time commitment is one to two hours a week.
Sound Waters University Presenter Zoom Support:
- Do you have experience with computer audio visual technology?
- Are you enthralled about proper camera lighting and best sound practices?
If yes, we invite you to join a team of volunteers who will conduct audio visual support dry runs with our Sound Waters University 2022 presenters. The SWU committee needs two to three proactive and patient volunteers who want to help the SWU presenters look and sound their best. Volunteers must be available during September or October for a 30-minute training session and then Jan. 4 through Feb. 4, 2022 to minimally conduct two half-hour support sessions.
Sound Waters University Zoom Breakout Room Facilitator:
- Are you Zoom room comfortable and savvy?
- Do you enjoy capturing attendees’ questions from the chat box and relaying them to a speaker for answers?
If yes, we invite you to join a team of staff and volunteers who will facilitate SWU speaker breakout rooms. This SWU subcommittee needs one enthusiastic volunteer with an engaging personality to introduce a speaker and facilitate a Q & A session. Participation in a facilitator training session is mandatory. The estimated time commitment is one to two hours of training and two hours on Feb. 5, 2022.