SWS Membership Recruitment Begins
January 23 @ 8:00 am – March 3 @ 5:00 pm
- Application period begins January 23 (application form goes live)
- Town Hall Introduction to SWS on Thursday, February 23 at noon
- Application deadline is March 3, 2023 – but we encourage you to apply early for the best chances of getting in
- First day of class for 2023 is Thursday, March 30 in-person
Please help spread the word about the 2023 opportunity to Join SWS!
SWS highly-regarded 100-hour year-long Training Program is required to become a member. The Training Program is only offered once each year. All current Stewards have completed the Member Training Program.
When you apply, you are expressing your desire to become actively involved in Sound Water Stewards’ education, science and stewardship projects. You agree to give back at least 100 hours of volunteer time.
Hear from the SWS Class of 2022 …
- All the speakers exceeded my expectations! Awesome classes.
- All in all, I think it was the people — staff, volunteers and fellow students. I’m really not much of a people person, but everyone inspired me and brought me joy.
- I love feeling like I understand my new home better. I feel more connected to the way I can care about this place. I loved hearing the native speaker on the last day. I feel connected to those here who want to care for and tend to the environment and all things in it. I now feel this connection with nature and with others.
- My heart sang every time I was on the beach with fellow trainees and scientists digging in the intertidal zone and monitoring our observations and finds. Loved that part of the program and loved being able to receive knowledge and insights from the senior SWS members and scientists all while being in a group with individuals with the same interests who were equally excited to uncover and discover the critters in the intertidal zone.
- The field trips were excellent. I have learned so much by going on these field trips. I am definitely a “hands-on” learner. I liked getting to know Camano Island better in addition to my home island of Whidbey.
- The class schedule worked well for me and I thought the segments and breaks were fine. I only wish the online classes extended for a few more weeks as I’ve learned so much and don’t want to see the training program end.