- This event has passed.
Monthly Members Meeting
March 13 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
SWS Members: Find the recording HERE
10:00 am – SWS Business Meeting
- First Stewards Acknowledgement
- Reports from:
- Board – President or Vice President
- Executive Director – Judi Sladky
- Whale Watch Excursion, depart Langley at 2 pm, Sunday, March 19
- Volunteer Education & Training Committee – Lee Badovinus
- Education Committee – Jean Stark
- Stewardship Committee – Kelly Webb
- April Meeting Announcement – Gaylen Heacock
- Admin Announcement – Joan – find numerous upcoming events and news on SWS website
10:30 am – Featured Speaker – Jeffrey Cordell, UW School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences (SAFS), Principal Research Scientist, Wetland Ecosystem Team (public is welcome to attend)
11:30 am – Breakout Rooms for Camano and Whidbey
Jeff Cordell is a research scientist at UW’s School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences (SAFS) where he has worked for over four decades. He has participated in projects concerning invasive species, invertebrate taxonomy, and habitat restoration. Most recently, he led the team that designed and built the enhanced seawall along the Seattle waterfront, the largest eco-engineering project of its kind. The enhanced seawall is intended to provide an intertidal migratory corridor for juvenile salmon and to increase available nearshore habitat. Enhancements include a glass panel sidewalk to increase light to the water, an intertidal bench to provide shallow water habitat, and a roughened seawall substrate to encourage colonization by algae and invertebrates. Performance of these enhancements is the subject of ongoing monitoring, which Jeff and his recent graduate student Bob Oxborrow will share with us at the March 13th meeting.
Jeff will be joined by Bob Oxborrow (MS 2021), an Estuarine Ecologist at UW SAFS (and scuba diver) and part of the Wetland Ecosystem Team. Bob’s research focused on invertebrate prey availability to juvenile salmon on the Seattle seawall.
Zoom link for this meeting:
Camano Breakout Room Agenda:
- State Parks invites all Stewards to 3 trainings – 3/13, 5/10, 5/25
- 3/13 at 1 pm on Earthquakes – WHO can go?
- April Meeting is Round-Robin; all Leads share their project updates or needs via Zoom – Tom Hiegler will facilitate, Camano is host
- Are there any questions?
- Social Connections
- Breakfast at Farmers every First Thursday @ 9 am– Stacey
- Wine & Cheese Social at Michele’s on March 23 @ 5 to 8 pm– Stacey
- Camano Events Team
- Billy Frank Jr Day in LaConner, March 7, 8 am to 11 am – Gaylen
- Nature Discovery Days (save the date) Friday, May 19 – Apply to be a State Parks Volunteer
- State Parks Volunteer Application Form
- State Parks Background Check Authorization
- Four (4) SCGive-Funded On-The-Beach-Events (Iverson x2, CISP, Leque) – multiple learning stations or activities including children’s activities at each site – dates TBA – we need your help!
- Next meeting is March 27 at 1 pm at Cama Beach Forest Room
- Project and committee updates or announcements
- Volunteer Education and Training Committee (VETC)
- 21 new trainees from Stanwood/Camano area, 48 total