Marine Education Pop-Up
August 11 @ 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Location: Camano Island State Park. 2269 Lowell Point Road, Camano Island
Discover or Day Pass required.
Join SWS for a low tide walk of the Rocky Shores in the morning 10-11:30am. Look for the brightly colored SWS vest just to the north of the boat launch. It is a -3.2 feet tide at 10:47am. See what lies beneath the surface on our underwater camera at the boat launch from 1 to 3pm.
Use your curiosity to carefully observe the marine environment.
Every Thursday for Summer 2022, retired State Parks Interpreter Tina Dinzl-Pederson, SWS Class of 2016, assisted by Sound Water Stewards’ members, sets up a pop-up educational booth at an Island County Park on Camano or Landing Park in Stanwood offering beach visitors an opportunity to learn about the local marine ecosystem with Sound Water Stewards.
Pop-ups occur on THURSDAYS, 10 am to 3 pm, site varies.
- Aug 11 – Camano Island State Park
- Aug 18 – Iverson Preserve – Find Tina near the sign and picnic table in the small parking lot
- Aug 25 – Camano Island State Park
- Sep 1 – Barnum Point Preserve – Find Tina near the park map sign in the parking lot
Local families live next to the amazing saltwater bay named Port Susan and the Stillaguamish River. This ecosystem provides food for salmon, grey whales, and much more. SWS pop-up booth sparks curiosity and strengthens a connection to marine and shoreline ecosystems. We provide education to support visitors’ voluntary actions to contribute to a healthy marine environment and offer ways to explore, enjoy, and learn while causing no harm. We believe people will take care of what they know and love.
Find SWS at the Beach and Explore!
- marine life, marine food web
- birds, plants, trees, eagles, beavers and the ecosystem that supports them
- plastic pollution – let’s keep it out
- salmon life cycle
- scavenger hunt
- native plants and invasive species
- beach plants and wildflowers
- importance proper pet waste disposal
- take pictures and memories, “Leave No Trace”
>>Stewards: Sign Up Here to help<<