- This event has passed.
Nature Education Pop-Up
August 4 @ 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
Location is next to old Hamilton Smokestack, 26810 – 98th Ave NW, Stanwood, by the former lumber mill smokestack.
Make connections to the river on the Old Stillaguamish River channel across from the Zis-A-Ba estuary. Look for birds and learn about salmon lifecycle, this rich intertidal estuary habitat reconnects the river and Puget Sound. The mudflats, river channels, wetlands and riparian areas benefit birds and salmon.
Find Sound Water Stewards Pop-Up at the Water’s Edge! This week at Hamilton Landing in Stanwood.
- Stillaguamish River estuary
- zis a ba Salmon habitat restoration – managed by Stillaguamish Tribe
- marine food web, salmon life cycle
- birds, plants, trees – what do you see?
- plastic pollution – let’s keep it out
- scavenger hunt
- why are estuaries important
- native plants and invasive species
- importance of proper pet waste disposal
- “Leave No Trace”
We live next to the amazing saltwater bay named Port Susan and the freshwater Stillaguamish River. The mixing of salt and fresh water, the estuary, is a rich ecosystem that provides food for salmon, marine birds, and much more.
SWS pop-up booth sparks curiosity and strengthens a connection to marine and shoreline ecosystems. We provide education to support visitors’ voluntary actions to contribute to a healthy marine environment and offer ways to explore, enjoy, and learn while causing no harm. We believe people will take care of what they love and this is one of the places you’ll learn to love.
Learn more about Hamilton Landing – the site of a future waterfront river-access park:
Every Thursday for Summer 2022, retired State Parks Interpreter Tina Dinzl-Pederson, SWS Class of 2016, assisted by Sound Water Stewards’ members, sets up a pop-up educational booth at an Island County Park on Camano or Landing Park in Stanwood offering beach visitors an opportunity to learn about the local marine ecosystem with Sound Water Stewards.
Pop-ups occur on THURSDAYS, 10 am to 3 pm, site varies each week.
- Aug 4 – Hamilton Landing Park, Stanwood
- Aug 11 – Camano Island State Park
- Aug 18 – Iverson Preserve – Find Tina near the sign and picnic table in the small parking lot
- Aug 25 – Camano Island State Park
- Sep 1 – Barnum Point Preserve – Find Tina near the park map sign in the parking lot
Stewards: Sign Up Here to help!