Board Term 2016-2022
Whidbey resident since 2002
Beach Watchers Experience
- SWS Board President 2016-2018 and 2020-2021, currently serving on the Executive Committee as immediate past president as she also served in 2019
- Sound Waters University team member, 2009-present (Secretary 2009-10; Program Chair 2011-2013; Event Chair 2014, 2015; Advisor, 2016)
- BW Futures Committee, 2013
- BW Change Committee, 2015-2016 (Chair)
- Various other BW/SWS activities, including BW (2006-08) and SWS (2019) Travel Coordinator, Beach Monitoring, 2006; Beach Litter Clean-up
- Retired University Professor Emerita, Miami University of Ohio; Department Chair (including program, personnel and budget responsibility, etc. for two departments: Family & Consumer Sciences (had to close it down) and later Sociology, Gerontology, Anthropology), Faculty Senate (headed Faculty Governance for many years, including creating an electronic voting system for faculty elections). Served on many committees, etc.
- Whidbey Watershed Stewards, 2002-2012 (Board Member 2002-12, Board President 2006-2009) [close collaborator with BW through 2010; included major organizational changes, including governance, name and rebuilding the Board] and EcoNet (WWS was the lead organization from start in 2009 for 2-3 years).
- Helped found and create a new non-profit, Mother Mentors of Whidbey Island, 2009-present (led governance non-profit and organizational development; Board President since inception; in 2020 has a budget of $140,000 with a staff of four with services throughout Whidbey Island).
- Served on many Boards throughout career, including in Island Co. Big Brothers Big Sisters (led S.Whidbey auction fundraiser several years) and Readiness to Learn Foundation (fiscal sponsor for MMWI prior to becoming 501(c)(3)).
- Co-Chaired assessment of Child Protective Services in Butler Co., Ohio (350,000 residents); wrote report/recommendations; restructured CPS (with more than 500 children in out of home care) from the Co. Health Department to an independent non-profit; served on the Board and as Board President.
Skills re Board
- Organizational Development (extensive experience); governance experience; communications; served on many Boards (especially social service ones); comfortable with web/computer environment; detail-oriented; familiar with personnel and budget issues; navigated politically difficult situations; university level graduate and undergraduate instruction.
- I love the natural world and want to preserve it; love being a grandparent; love to garden, sew, cook, watch movies, travel, and observe the constantly changing world outside our door! We chose Whidbey as the place where we want to grow old and live out the rest of our lives and where we want to do what we can to preserve and sustain it for future generations. This is a special place, and we want to leave it enhanced, not diminished.
Reason I want to serve
- The transformation for this organization that I care about is just beginning, and in collaboration with a diverse and dedicated team, I would like to continue to develop the vision of what this organization can become, incorporating the best of the past with the potential of the future.